One of the awards announced was the 2021 Sheldon G. Hayes Award, which recognizes the country’s highest quality highway pavements.
Eurovia Atlantic Coast dba, Northeast Paving Co. LLC, and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation District 12 were named the winner of the 2021 Sheldon G. Hayes Award for their work on I-70 in Washington, Pennsylvania. Finalists for the award were Seaboard Construction Co. and the Georgia Department of Transportation for I-95 in Camden County; and Shelly & Sands Inc. and the Ohio Department of Transportation District 5 for I-70 in Muskingum County.
The Sheldon G. Hayes Award winner and finalists are determined through a two-year evaluation process. All highway pavement projects using more than 50,000 tons of asphalt are eligible for consideration. Initially, the project must win a Quality in Construction (QIC) Award, according to NAPA.
NAPA also announced the 2021 Larry H. Lemon Quality in Construction Award for excellence in construction of an asphalt pavement utilizing less than 50,000 tons of asphalt. This award recognizes the 10 highest-scoring projects submitted for a Quality in Construction Award in the General Paving (less than 50,000 tons) category.
“The asphalt pavement industry is committed to building high-quality projects that deliver superior performance to the traveling public," 2021 NAPA Chairman James Winford said in a statement. "All contractors’ projects earning a Quality in Construction award are measured against best practices designed to live up to that commitment.”
The 2021 Larry H. Lemon QIC winners and their projects include:
- Barrett Paving Materials Inc. of Middletown, Ohio, for Various Roads in Springboro, Ohio
- Cadillac Asphalt LLC, A CRH Co., of Farmington Hills, Michigan, for Grafton Road in Monroe County
- Dunn Construction Co. Inc. of Birmingham, Alabama, for the I-65 project in Jefferson County
- Jagoe-Public Co., of Denton, Texas, for FM 1378 in Collin County
- Payne & Dolan Inc., a Walbec Group Co., of Gladstone, Michigan, for M-94 in Marquette County
- Preferred Materials Inc., A CRH Co. of Tampa, Florida, for 49th Ave. North in Pinellas Park, Florida
- Rogers Group Inc., of Columbia, Tennessee, for U.S. 64 in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
- Shelly & Sands Inc. of Zanesville, Ohio, for S.R. 682 and S.R. 691 in Athens County
- The Shelly Co., A CRH Co., of Thornville, Ohio, for Morgan Run Road in Coshocton, Ohio
- The Shelly Co., A CRH Co., of Thornville, Ohio, for Winchester Pike in Franklin County
SOURCE: National Asphalt Pavement Association