North Carolina Working to Improve Pedestrian Safety

Oct. 18, 2023
NCDOT said their goal is not only to address the needs that exist now, but also develop plans that will shape the community in the future

The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) is looking to identify and improve communities that lack access to walking and biking.

"I think healthy habits are becoming more of a priority for people these days across all demographics," Liz Macam with NCDOT said.

According to Macam, North Carolina has a million people who do not own a car or drive, which is why improving infrastructure for all and ensuring it's safe and accessible for all communities is a priority for the state.

"We not only want to make sure that the pedestrian plans and the bicycle plans are good, but we also make sure that they're being created in a way that they instill safe habits," Macam said.

The city of Belmont is looking to improve safety concerns, approving a plan Monday night.

"In Belmont, they're looking at additions and improvements for connectivity and safety concerns," Macam said.

Belmont isn't just focusing on things like sidewalks and crosswalks, but recreational opportunities such as greenways, according to Macam. NCDOT will pay for 80% of the cost to draft this new plan with Belmont paying the other 20%.

North Carolina is also looking to instill safety measures for drivers including lowering speed limits in areas that see a higher volume of pedestrians.

NCDOT said their goal is not only to address the needs that exist now, but also develop plans that will shape the community in the future. 

"We are considering many things as other transportation and infrastructure projects are either updated or improved," Macam said.



Sponsored Recommendations

The Science Behind Sustainable Concrete Sealing Solutions

Extend the lifespan and durability of any concrete. PoreShield is a USDA BioPreferred product and is approved for residential, commercial, and industrial use. It works great above...

Proven Concrete Protection That’s Safe & Sustainable

Real-life DOT field tests and university researchers have found that PoreShieldTM lasts for 10+ years and extends the life of concrete.

Revolutionizing Concrete Protection - A Sustainable Solution for Lasting Durability

The concrete at the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center is subject to several potential sources of damage including livestock biowaste, food/beverage waste, and freeze/thaw...

The Future of Concrete Preservation

PoreShield is a cost-effective, nontoxic alternative to traditional concrete sealers. It works differently, absorbing deep into the concrete pores to block damage from salt ions...