The Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) this week announced the winners of its 2021 PCI Design Awards, which recognize design excellence in building and transportation categories.
“Once again, the precast concrete industry has put its best foot forward and has delivered many inspiring and impressive projects,” PCI President and CEO Bob Risser, P.E., said in a statement. “Each year, the PCI Design Awards program demonstrates that precast concrete is not only a practical solution to many construction challenges, but also a head-turning aesthetic solution.”
The PCI Design Awards have showcased and recognized the creative and innovative use of precast concrete for the past 58 years. A panel of industry experts that includes engineers, architects, and precast concrete producers judges all nominees. The buildings and transportation categories are judged on aesthetic, structural, and use versatility; site, energy and operational efficiency, and risk reduction; and resiliency, such as structure durability, multi-hazard protection, and life safety and health.
Several projects are also honored with special awards. These are judged on similar criteria to the building and transportation projects, as well as additional requirements, including industry advancement, sustainable design, technology, and designs using all-precast concrete solutions.
The 2021 PCI Design Awards winning projects in the transportation category include the following:
- Main Span up to 75 ft—Replacement of Old Easton Road Bridge Over Pine Run; Plumstead Township, Pennsylvania; Northeast Prestressed Products LLC
- Main Span from 76-149 ft—CR 661/Blackhall Road Over Rum Creek; Henry County, Georgia; Standard Concrete Products
- Main Span more than 150 ft—Rockingham I-91 Bridges 24N and 24S – IM 091-1(66); Rockingham, Vermont; J.P. Carrara & Sons
- Rehabillitated Bridge—Lake Pontchartrain Causeway Safety Bay Improvements; New Orleans, Louisiana; Gulf Coast Prestress Partners LTD
- Non-Highway Bridge—Sound Transit E360 Guideway Bridge; Bellevue, Washington; Concrete Technology Corp.
- Special Solution—Port of Corpus Christi North Bank Cargo Dock 16; Corpus Christi, Texas; Heldenfels Enterprises Inc.
All winning projects will be showcased and honored at the 2021 PCI Convention in New Orleans, Louisiana, with an event on May 21.
SOURCE: Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute