New Flyer of America Inc. and New Flyer Industries Canada ULC, the largest bus manufacturer in North America, recently announced the launch of their Autonomous Technology Program.
To ensure safe interaction among transit operators, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists and interaction of buses, New Flyer will leverage Internet of Things to build connectivity in sharing public roadways. Secondary benefits of New Flyer’s Autonomous Technology Program include operational efficiency, productivity, and energy reduction.
The Autonomous Vehicle Technology Program will leverage, collaborate, and align with key public and private organizations, with commitments including:
- Support of and adherence to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J3016 definition and recommended practice for Levels of Driving Automation, ranging from Level 0 where the operator has full control, to Level 5 where automation would drive the vehicle under all conditions.
- Support of the U.S. DOT automation principles, including prioritization of safety, employment, and workforce development needs as defined in USDOT’s Preparing for the Future of Transportation: Automated Vehicles 3.0.
- Support of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Vision for Safety, which is actively exploring opportunities to advance the lifesaving potential of AV technologies, including the safe deployment of ADAS technologies.
- Support to and support from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Strategic Transit Automation Research (STAR) Plan, established as a research and demonstration framework to move the transit industry forward by leveraging core strengths of academia and the public and private sectors for automotive vehicle research, integrated demonstrations, and strategic partnerships.
- Active contribution to and support of the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) Connected and Automated Vehicle Committee.
- Engagement with proven AV technology partners with core expertise in sensor, controller, and AI experience.
Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I) technology will be required for smart mobility development, with infrastructure as a critical element to successful deployment of AV transit buses. New Flyer will continue to engage smart city, transportation technology, and infrastructure stakeholders to align with, support, and further its technology roadmap to complement industry efforts. New Flyer Infrastructure Solutions will support these efforts with development and deployment of smart charging solutions. Through the Vehicle Innovation Center, New Flyer will also foster industry collaboration and support workforce development through delivery of hands-on, educational programming related to the safe deployment of ADAS and AV technology.
Source: New Flyer