Mass. sues "Big Dig" contractors

News The Washington Times March 23, 2004
Printer-friendly version





The Washington Times is reporting that two companies involved in Boston's "Big Dig" construction project are being sued by the

The Washington Times is reporting that two companies involved in Boston's "Big Dig" construction project are being sued by the state of Massachusetts. The state claims Bechtel Corp. and Parsons Brinckerhoff Inc. hid true cost estimates, and is seeking $146 million.


The state believes if accurate estimates had been submitted in 1994 officials might have changed plans to proceed with the project. Ten years ago contractors said the project could be completed with a price tag of $8 billion. However, the accused said earlier the cost would be about double the $7.7 billion then allocated for the project.


According to the Times, court documents say, "The defendants utilized their superior knowledge and expertise to conceal project cost overruns in order to continue, for their own improper benefit and by improper means, the highly lucrative contracts with the Commonwealth (of Massachusetts)."


Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff claims the lawsuit is without merit.


Overlay Init