New York City DOT begins preservation work on Brooklyn Queens Expressway

Aug. 31, 2021

City plan includes reimagining the corridor for a long-term future with less reliance on large diesel trucks

The New York City Department of Transportation (NYCDOT) recently announced it is beginning work along the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (BQE) in Brooklyn to extend the life of the cantilever roadway. 

NYCDOT will shift lane markings on the BQE from Atlantic Avenue to the Brooklyn Bridge from three to two lanes in both directions.

The move comes after an announcement earlier in the month from Mayor Bill de Blasio and NYCDOT Commissioner Hank Gutman of a comprehensive plan to extend the life of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE) cantilever for at least another 20 years, while reimagining the corridor for a long-term future with less reliance on large diesel trucks.

The four-part plan focuses on preserving the structure; executing immediate and ongoing maintenance; expanding monitoring and enforcement; and developing a long-term, community-based vision for the entire corridor, according to a press release.

“This plan is designed to address current safety and structural concerns about the 70-year old roadway, while reimagining not only its future purpose, but how freight is moved in this city in the 21st century,” Commissioner Gutman said in a statement.

NYCDOT says this work will immediately reduce weight on the roadway, promote safety by providing dedicated exit and entrance lanes, and provide an adequate shoulder that will minimize impacts from incidents.

-----------

SOURCE: New York City DOT | Office of Mayor Bill de Blasio