The combined $88 million modernization involved structural, infrastructure, safety, and passenger comfort enhancements to the Number 3 train/IRT Lenox Avenue Line’s 145th Street station in Manhattan, and the Bronx’s B and D trains/IND–Concourse Line’s 167th Street station and the B and D trains/IND–Concourse Line’s 174th-175th Street station. New York City-based architect and planner Urbahn served as the lead architect for the first two stations, while engineering firm HAKS was the lead architect for the third station. The design team worked with the design-build contractor, Citnalta-Forte.
The work improved the street presence of the stations’ entrances, modernized the information systems throughout, updated the look of the interiors, and upgraded the lighting and mechanical, electrical, and plumbing infrastructure to give the stations a clean look.
Much of the work focused on the stations’ control areas and platforms, with the team making significant repairs to walls. The team also renovated items that had deteriorated structurally, repairing various structural steel and concrete elements. In addition, the team installed artists’ glass-and-ceramic mosaics within the platform walls of each station.
“Structural fixes as well as modern touches like more real-time service info, energy-efficient lighting, and updated security systems mean safer, easier to use stations for our customers," NYC Transit President Andy Byford said in a statement.
The Manhattan station had been in continuous use since it opened in 1904, while the two Bronx stations had been in operation since they opened in 1933. Little more than routine maintenance had been performed over the years, so critical repairs were necessary due to water infiltration, aging concrete ceilings and walls, and deteriorating structural steel, as well as daily wear-and-tear.
SOURCE: Wilk Marketing Communications