Iteris Inc. of Santa Ana, Calif., sees a revitalized and strengthened market for intelligent transportation systems (ITS) after Congress passed and President Obama signed legislation that includes the federal surface transportation reauthorization bill.
The legislation provides for an estimated $105 billion in federal funding for highway, transit, safety and related transportation programs through the end of September 2014. Among a number of top-line provisions, the legislation:
* Ensures ITS technologies are eligible for funding within every major formula program;
* Restores the ITS research program, increasing its funding from $50 million to $100 million per year;
* Creates a new $62.5 million-per-year Technology and Innovation Deployment program to accelerate the adoption of new transportation technologies;
* Establishes a performance management process to improve accountability in areas that include highway condition and performance, safety, congestion, air quality and freight movement;
* Provides state governments with additional spending flexibility; and
* Streamlines the project delivery process.
“Congress has come together at a crucial time to pass a bill that we believe significantly benefits our nation by calling for the advancement and greater adoption of intelligent transportation systems,” said Abbas Mohaddes, president and CEO of Iteris. “With the passage of the bill, Congress recognizes the inclusion of ITS technologies will enhance the overall return on investment and improve much-needed transportation infrastructure and traffic congestion. This significant funding allows government agencies to include ITS technologies in infrastructure projects and the ability to enhance their traffic management systems. As a market leader in intelligent traffic management information solutions, we expect this to directly benefit Iteris.”