Industry News Round-up: Calif.-Vegas high-speed rail is on, Kansas DOT making rail investments

Also, how has the coronavirus brought into harsh light transit inequities?

July 02, 2020
Industry News Round-up: Calif.-Vegas high-speed rail is on, Kansas DOT making rail investments

Here is a round-up of some news stories you might have missed this week:

 

A plan to build a high-speed rail line between Southern California and Las Vegas got a boost after the rail company in charge of the project, XpressWest, received permission from the California DOT to build along I-15.

Read the full story here.

 

The Kansas Department of Transportation announced that nine rail improvement projects will receive a combined $11.5 million in State Rail Service Improvement Fund grants. This year, the total cost of the nine projects is $21.8 million. Construction is slated to begin in the third quarter, KDOT officials said.

Read the full story here.

 

Transit ridership plummeted around 90% at the peak of the pandemic, and journeys for the remaining 10% of riders started becoming more difficult. Services were cut, both to protect drivers and other transit workers, but also because transit systems are running out of money, in a situation that’s becoming acute.

Read the full story here.

Related Articles

As we approach the one-year anniversary of when the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic was declared a national emergency in the U.S., all eyes are fixed…
February 26, 2021
The American Public Transportation Association (APTA) today expressed that the association strongly supports H.R. 1319—the American Rescue Plan Act…
February 26, 2021
Glassboro-Camden Line in New Jersey completes environmental impact study
Image: Delaware River Port Authority / South Jersey Transportation Authority
This week, the Glassboro-Camden Line (GCL) in South New Jersey the light-rail project achieved a significant project milestone with the completion of…
February 24, 2021
Study aims to improve U.S. transportation system with accessibility data
Image: University of Minnesota
Transportation research from the Accessibility Observatory at the University of Minnesota is entering its second phase with a new multiyear national…
February 19, 2021
expand_less