The American Road & Transportation Builders Association Transportation Development Foundation (ARTBA-TDF) is now accepting nominations for the 2007 Globe Awards. This annual competition honors U.S. transportation construction industry excellence in environmental protection and mitigation.
Established in 1998, the Globe Awards program recognizes:
- Private-sector firms and public-sector transportation agencies that do an outstanding job in protecting and/or enhancing the natural environment in the planning, design and construction of U.S. transportation infrastructure projects; and
- Transportation construction-related product manufacturers and material suppliers that utilize exemplary environmental processes to protect and enhance the natural environment.
Anyone may nominate candidates in either of two categories:
- Surface transportation projects that have been completed in the two-year period prior to the awards deadline; and
- Organizations that have exhibited creativity and innovation in environmentally responsible manufacturing, production, resource extraction or other processes within two years prior to the awards deadline.
The Globe Awards competition is structured into two categories: project awards and process awards.
Nominations may be made for projects in the following seven categories: highways, local or secondary roads, bridges, public transit, airports, railroads, and waterways and ports.
Nominations also will be accepted to recognize companies that have exhibited environmentally responsible manufacturing, production, resource extraction or other processes related to surface transportation construction. Such organizations may include:
- Heavy construction equipment and transportation safety product manufacturers (environmentally responsible manufacturing); or
- Materials companies (environmentally responsible resource extraction and/or production).
Applications must be received at the ARTBA-TDF by July 13, 2007. To inquire about the awards program or obtain a copy of the application form, contact ARTBA's Scholarship & Awards Program Manager Rhonda Britton at 202/289-4434. The application is also available online at www.artbatdf.org. The awards will be presented at a special ceremony at the 2007 ARTBA National Convention, held Oct. 9-12 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
The Globe Awards program is a TDF project that complements ARTBA's PRIDE in Transportation Construction campaign to focus public attention on the many positive contributions the transportation construction industry makes to the U.S. economy and quality of life.