The American Public Works Association (APWA) recently named 10 public works professionals as 2007 Top Ten Public Works Leaders of the Year. Marking the 48th year of the award, the honor is among the most coveted and prestigious presented by the association.
"The Top Ten Public Works Leaders of the Year represent outstanding public works professionals from across the U.S. and Canada," APWA Executive Director Peter King said. "They are selected for their professionalism, expertise and personal dedication to improving the quality of life in their communities through advancement of public works services and technology. Their career-long dedication and service is to be commended."
Award recipients include:
- John M. Bernal, P.E. -- Deputy County Administrator of Public Works, Pima
- Lawrence E. Bombara -- Superintendent of Public Works, Town of Uxbridge,
- Frank "Cheech" DeCelles -- Public Works Director, City of Plantation, Fla.
- H. Reed Fowler, Jr. -- Director of Public Works, City of Newport News, Va.
- Bret Hodne -- Superintendent of Public Works, City of West Des Moines, Iowa
- Joseph C. Johnson, P.E. -- Director of Public Works, City of Leawood, Kan.
- Stuart A. Moring, P.E. -- Director of Public Works, City of Roswell, Ga.
- William L. Pugh -- Public Works Director, City of Tacoma, Wash.
- Peter W. Steblin, P.Eng. -- General Manager of Environmental & Engineering Services and City Engineer, City of London, Ont.
- Gary G. Warren -- Director of Airside Development, Metropolitan Airports Commission, Minneapolis
Each Top Ten Public Works Leader will be recognized at a local event and during an awards ceremony as part of APWA's International Congress and Exposition in San Antonio, Sept. 9-12.
APWA's National Awards Program Web page (http://www.apwa.net/About/ awards.asp?Display=top10list) includes a list of Top Ten recipients from 1960 to 2005.
For more information about individual recipients or awards presentations, contact Becky Wickstrom at 202/218-6736 or email@example.com.